Boxes are piling up in the new flat, helpers have said goodbye and the project is nearly done. But only nearly: There are still a few things you should bear in mind.

  • Register your new domicile within one week at a residents' registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt) or a citizens' office (Bürgerbüro). You should go to registration personally and bring along a completed registration form and valid identification. You can obtain a registration form either directly from a residents' registration office or online from your city's website.
  • If you are moving to a new city and own a car, then you will have to re-register your vehicle. After moving to a new district, you'll also need new plates. The vehicle approval office (Kfz-Zulassungsstelle) or the citizens' office will be of service to that end.
  • Inform the fiscal authority and other offices and agencies of your new address if you did not already do so prior to moving.
  • Register with the energy and water provider. Your landlord or facility manager can tell you who the providers are in the region. If water, gas or electricity are not included in your auxiliary costs, then you can also find your own provider for those services as well. You will find information on various online portals. Some providers also offer green electricity and green gas from regenerative energies - an opportunity to protect the environment.
  • Register telephone, Internet and (cable) television. Bear in mind that it may take several weeks for connections to become functional. Compare the offers of the various telecommunications service providers, who often have combination packages for telephone and Internet.
  • In Germany, you must pay licence fees for radios, televisions and web-enabled PCs. You can register online at the Fee Collection Centre (Gebühreneinzugszentrale, GEZ - website in German). This can also be done personally at post offices or banks.