Work in Bavaria

You did not learn your profession in Germany, rather in another country? In order to find work in Germany, immigrants should have the qualifications and vocational certificates they have acquired abroad accredited. This has become much easier to do in recent years. However, there are a few things to bear in mind.

Regulated and non-regulated professions

The German Recognition Act governs the evaluation of a foreign professional qualification's equivalence with a German professional qualification.

There is a distinction made between regulated and non-regulated professions:

  • A regulated profession may not be exercised without a governmental admission process and without recognition of the professional qualification. This includes professions like lawyers, electricians and physicians, for example.
  • By contrast, non-regulated professions - such as IT specialists or retail employees - do not require any formal recognition. You can also apply for positions in non-regulated professions without your qualifications being evaluated.

You'll find a list of regulated professions in Germany here.

Recognition in Bavaria

In Bavaria, there are various recognition offices specific to a certain profession which evaluate whether the training you obtained abroad corresponds to the German requirements. This assessment accounts for professional experience and advanced training. If the training is not yet sufficient, potential applicants can sometimes compensate with advanced training or continued education.

Your nationality and your residence status are irrelevant when you file an application. You only need to have acquired a professional qualification abroad and indicate that you would like to work in Germany using the proper documentation, in which you could, for example, document initial contact you’ve had with a potential employer.

Further information, procedures and the competent authorities

On the informational portal of the German Federal Government "Recognition in Germany", you can check whether you can have your foreign professional qualification accredited. Here, you'll also find the competent authorities all over Germany.

The service portal "Vocational Recognition" (website in German) references the online services of the Bavarian recognition offices and presents the professional accreditation procedure.

Information on school and academic diplomas acquired abroad is offered by the database "Anabin" (website in German).

The "BQ-Portal" (website in German) provides comprehensive information on foreign professional qualifications and the legislative framework conditions.

Commercial and technical professions

IHK FOSA (Foreign Skills Approval) is the central office for processing IHK accreditation requests for commercial and technical skilled occupations. The Bavarian Chambers of Industry and Commerce (Bayerische Industrie- und Handelskammern - BIHK) are only responsible for requests from resettlers of German origin.

Ulmenstr. 52g
90443 Nürnberg
Tel: +49(0)911 815060
Fax: +49(0)911 81506100

Non-regulated university degrees

The Central Authority for Foreign Education (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen) assesses performance reports for non-regulated university degrees. The Bavarian State Ministry of Sciences, Research and the Arts is responsible for requests made by resettlers of German origin.

Central Office for Foreign Education:

Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen (ZAB)
Sekretariat der Kultusministerkonferenz
Postfach 2240
53012 Bonn
Tel: +49(0)228 501 664
(Mon, Tue, Thu 10:00am - noon)

Skilled trades

As a craftsman, you can address the competent Chamber of Crafts and Trades (Handwerkskammer) in your area. They will forward your request to the competent authority for you.

Regulated professions

You'll find the competent authorities for individual professions at the Federal government's recognition portal.

Assistance and personal counselling


Service Office for Foreign Qualifications

Landeshauptstadt München
Servicestelle zur Erschließung
ausländischer Qualifikationen
Franziskanerstraße 8
81669 München
Tel: 089/ 233-40520
Fax: 089/ 233-40683

Swabia, Upper Bavaria,
Lower Bavaria, Upper Palatinate

Tür an Tür Integrationsprojekte gGmbH
(Netzwerk Integration durch Qualifizierung)
Wertachstraße 29
86153 Augsburg
Telephone: 0821 455 1090
(Mon: 10am-noon, Tue: 10am-noon /
2pm-4pm, Wed: 3pm-5pm,
Thu: 10am-noon)
Fax: 0821 90799 11

Upper Franconia, Middle Franconia,
Lower Franconia

Central Service Office for Foreign Qualifications:

Zentrale Servicestelle zur Erschließung
ausländischer Qualifikationen in der
Metropolregion Nürnberg (ZAQ)
Beratungsstelle Anerkennungsgesetz
(Netzwerk Integration durch Qualifizierung) 
Untere Talgasse 8
90403 Nürnberg
Telephone: 0911 231 3978


Information of Germany's Federal Office for Migration and Refugees